The Medical Assistant (MA) is an integral member of the multi-disciplinary health care team who function under the supervision of the physician. The medical assistant assists clinicians, registered nurses, and licensed practical nurses in delivering quality care to patients according to Cigna standards, Arizona Department of Health Services requirements, and OSHA regulations. This position functions as a link between the clinician and the patient by obtaining a thorough patient history, taking vital signs, assisting with coordination of care, and maintaining a positive and efficient patient experience during the office visit. The MA contributes to the organization's drive to achieve the "Triple Aim": improve the individual care experience; improve quality and the health of Cigna Medical Group's population, and reduce the cost of care for our population. Clinical Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Performs routine patient care in a professional manner.
- Manages patient flow in an efficient manner to accommodate patient needs and expectations of care.
- Greets the patient and escorts the patient to the examination room where initial assessment and documentation occurs.
- Prepares patient to be seen by Clinician, ensuring their comfort and privacy at all times. Takes vital signs per established protocol.
- Obtains patient history.
- Updates Medication List.
- Communicates physical symptoms verbalized by patients to the clinician.
- Continues to participate with the clinician examining and assessing the patient including entering clinician orders.
- Remains with the patient after clinician completes his/her visit in order to perform procedures and injections, refer for or perform treatment procedures, reinforce the treatment plan, print the discharge summary, schedule referrals and follow up appointments, accompany patient to the unit clerk/discharge staff and to diagnostic testing departments.
- Schedules and reschedules appointments as needed based upon patient preference and convenience.
- Completes pre-authorization requests by supplying required documentation and completing necessary follow through.
- Supports management of a complex referral process by following established guidelines and directing patients appropriately.
- Ensures proper coding of ICD-10 and CPT-4 codes by Clinician. Responsible for submitting charges once review is complete.
- Ensures all Clinicians orders are completed by appropriate personnel. This includes follow up and completion of overdue tasks in the EHR.
- Performs accurate chart preparation, including all necessary diagnostic results, consult notes, hospital records
- Collects, labels, and deliver specimens for processing per Clinicians orders .(Blood, Urine and Tissue) In certain locations, will be required to perform phlebotomy, and/or IV Therapy.
- Secures patient consent (signature) for immunizations and invasive procedures.
- Set up, assist, and breakdown exam rooms, for minor office diagnostic and surgical procedures, is able to perform sterile technique.
- Clean and Sterilize instruments per protocol if needed.
- Passes and maintains Cigna's medication administration certification.
- Administers medications in accordance with Cigna's policies and procedures.
- Reviews with patients pre-printed instruction sheets and refers needs for further teaching to Clinician or RN.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Consults other departments, as needed and as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to patient's needs, e.g., referrals, prior authorization, other Clinician offices, PHM, etc.
- Communicates results and/or provides instructions as directed by the Clinician in person or via the phone.
Performs emergency response
- Recognizes emergency situation, seeks assistance and intervenes appropriately.
- Monitors patient during and following interventions observing responses and identifying complications.
- Assists the team with appropriate disposition of the patient.
Performs general office duties
- Ensures that filing, phone calls, and record keeping are complete and properly identified with patient information.
- Maintains complete accurate documentation in the E H R.
- Documents all encounters following policy and protocol.
- Notifies appropriate personnel regarding clinician schedule changes.
- Maintains inventory of medical & office supplies and medications for area in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Ensures safe storage of all supplies in the area.
- Explain the patient portal to patients, encourage and assist them in registering.
- Updates skills through nursing workshops and continuing education programs.
- Attends and engages in department Staff Meetings and In-service programs.
- Cross trains to new procedures, team based roles and departments as needed.
- Work in other departments and/or travel to other centers as requested by management.
- Assists in orienting new employees and temporary pool staff to job responsibilities.
- Interacts, collaborates, and communicates professionally with co-workers.
- NOTE: The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate supervisor.
Graduate of approved MA program or graduate of an unapproved program with successful completion of certification examination; graduate of a US Armed Forces medical services program or practicing medical assistant who completed supervision requirements prior to February 2, 2000 ("grandfather clause"). High school diploma or GED certificate Good communications skills Prefer one year experience in back office, patient scheduling application experience desirable. Basic computer skills. Current BCLS required.About Cigna
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. We offer an integrated suite of health services through Cigna, Express Scripts, and our affiliates including medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products. Together, with our 74,000 employees worldwide, we aspire to transform health services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions. Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of health services innovation.
When you work with Cigna, you'll enjoy meaningful career experiences that enrich people's lives while working together to make the world a healthier place. What difference will you make? To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Instagram.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the online application process, please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com for support. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.