*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *Overview
The Sous Chef
will actively supervise, coach, counsel, direct, train and mentor employees in meeting company quality standards. The Sous Chef will actively and independently manage all aspects of employee relations to ensure a positive, harmonious, compliant and cooperative work environment.
This is a key position for the effective and profitable operation of the business. The employee must maintain excellent attendance and be available to work a variable event-driven schedule which includes evenings and weekends. Open availability, professional presentation, outstanding interpersonal skills, self-direction and strong management and independent decision-making skills are required.
This position is based at our Texas Tech University
and supports food and beverage operations related to the Texas Tech athletic department.Responsibilities
- Supervises all line set-up, prep and breakdown activities. Responsible for in-service delegation of tasks to line personnel.
- Supervises all buffet, beverage, break, and carving table set-up and breakdown. Responsible for set-up of all equipment necessary for above mentioned areas, including but not limited to: chaffing dishes, sternos, china, serving ware, silverware, bowls and platters, heating lamps, and cutting boards
- Assists Executive Chef with fulfilling kitchen record keeping and administrative requirements including food inventories and ordering of food products. Responsible for organizing employee work schedules, ensuring appropriate coverage for all kitchen areas.
- Measure, mix and cook ingredients according to recipes
- Use a variety of pots, pans, knives and other equipment to prepare and serve food.
- Maintain a clean kitchen. At the end of the day there should be NO food debris on the floor, walls, equipment, work tables, ceilings or any other surface located with-in the kitchen area. This same standard must be maintained in all food production areas outside of the main kitchen.
- Ensures kitchen staff are aware of work place expectations by providing on-going assistance, training and mentoring to kitchen staff. Promote a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative workplace environment by working side by side with staff.
- Assists Executive Chef to ensure quality, consistency and concept are maintained. Monitors production of food preparation, ensuring recipe specifications, portion controls, and kitchen timings are met. Monitors all food served relative to appearance, temperature, sanitary and quality standards.
- Monitor events, materials and surroundings.
- Guide, direct and motivate kitchen employees.
- Ensure that all food safety standards are followed.
- Communicate with supervisors, peers and subordinates.
- Make decisions and solve problems. Organize, plan and prioritize work.
- Evaluate information against standards.
- Carry out ideas, programs, systems or products.
- Document and record all personnel discipline information. Work with Human resources for personnel discipline issues.
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Minimum of 3 years in similar position in an upscale banquet, hotel or convention center setting with prior supervisory experience.
- Must be Serve Safe certified.
- Technical proficiency and experience demonstrating verifiable knowledge of food preparation methods.
- Ability to positively distribute responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Ability to recognize problems and to creatively and expeditiously find solutions. Ability to set priorities and use initiative; solid decision-maker.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, multi-task and effectively prioritize in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to be self-directed while working in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; able and willing to work nights, weekends and long hours.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to speak clearly so that listeners may understand.
- Knowledge of and skill in using computer software, including MS Word/ Excel/ Outlook.
- Must be able to supervise, coach, and train employees.
- Provide excellent service to customers.
Spectra, an industry leader in sports, entertainment and venue management, is dedicated to recruiting and developing individuals with the skills, experience, desire, and values to contribute to the continued growth and success of our organization. Together, with our 250+ sports & entertainment venue partners, we transform events into experiences! These experiences create excitement, turn heads, and make memories. Come Join Us! You can learn more about Spectra at www.spectraexperiences.com/ Spectra
is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, veteran status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply .Job Questions:
- How did you hear about this job?